Making Over Third Grade!: The Mad Dash to the End
 photo Untitled_zpse7ecd2cc.png -->

Monday, January 19, 2015

The Mad Dash to the End

I don't know about you, but all of a sudden every year around this time I start preparing myself to let go of the current year's class. I don't do it on purpose and I don't think I do it becuase of the kids. It's just that at this point in the year I start shifting my focus not only to what the current class still needs but to what I want to buy, make, and have for the start of the next school year.
makingoverthirdgrade.blogspot.com
Name tags suddenly get brought out and laminated, things start showing up "for next year's class." I don't mean to do it. Every year I tell myself it won't happen this year. But there they are, the mental notes, the school supply catalog wish lists, purchase orders, and ideas. Maybe it is because the district and site administration start planning for next year, getting numbers figured out, planning preliminary class assignments, and asking us to start the purchase list for next year. Whatever it is, it is there. It's begun, and I can't stop it. The funny thing is, I just can't stop doing it.

So, I thought I would make this promise to myself for next year while I am thinking of it.
makingoverthirdgrade.blogspot.com


I know that many do not like the common core but after years of being told I had to teach a page a day in a purchased text I was (and still am) so excited about the ability to teach with freedom. I'm excited that is except when it comes to math. I loved it when we were going to Toysrus.com and grabbing images to help us add and subtract three and four-digit numbers with estimating. Haven't liked it so much with rote recall of multiplication facts. I am really working on how to make math fun and productive again. My goal for this summer is to really get that down and to have it planned out so that I don't have any "Ugh!" moments next year.

I started Kidblogging in September this year and while we have been blogging we haven't beeng great about getting others to respond to our blogs and they are only doing it for themselves. It has been difficult to get them to see that this is really a forum for others to be able to understand their thoughts and to share their ideas with. I have been on the wait list for Quadblogging for a while. Recently I have been able to get other third grade classes in my district to get involved so we FINALLY have an audience. Next year my goal is to get my kids blogging with other classes as soon as possilbe.

What do you want to work on for next year?

To add your thoughts, or promises to yourself for next year grab this image and link your post to this one.
makingoverthirdgrade.blogspot.com


 photo hw8_boy6_zpse8a2e789.png
 photo hw8_divider3_zps676e7fb5.gif

No comments:

Post a Comment