Making Over Third Grade!: Periscope: Scoping Out the Future of PD & Overcoming My Nerves
 photo Untitled_zpse7ecd2cc.png -->

Monday, July 27, 2015

Periscope: Scoping Out the Future of PD & Overcoming My Nerves


makingoverthirdgrade.blogspot.comWow a lot has happened in the last 3 weeks. Before I went on vacation (yes, I know I am as surprised as anyone that I went on a vacation and actually didn't do any school work) a friend of mine (@lauralovesart) told me about Periscope, this new social media app that was going to change everything. I nervously scoped a few things from my vacation (but NEVER put myself on screen) and thought this was something I was definitely going to have to experiment with more once I got home before it blew up. If only life went the way we planned!

makingoverthirdgrade.blogspot.com
While I was away from home the TpT convention in Vegas happened and overnight Periscope blew up on my Instagram feed. Things had changed! Teachers had found Periscope and teaching as we know it will never be the same!

The thing about good PD (in my opinion) is that it is interactive and assumes that all teachers have something to contribute to the ideas presented. The problem is that too much PD doesn't follow that idea - more often than not, the PD we have to sit through(and isn't it always a "have to" when we don't want to be there?), at least in my district, assumes that we don't know what we are doing or that we are doing it all wrong.

Part of the reason I love the Google Summits so much is that they assume that we all have something to contribute and the sessions are full of teachers sharing with other teachers. That is exactly why Periscope is going to revolutionize PD. Teachers can share and comment on what other teachers are doing and ideas can grow exponentially in hours. This is something that I want to must be a part of.

There are a lot of people out there who are scoping the mundane things like making breakfast but there are many others who are taking this to a whole new level! I have learned about new ideas in the classroom from many teachers, via @myblondreality I have visited London, @clairewad has taken me to Paris, and @alexpettitt has taught me a lot about how to Scope; if only I could get the nerve to put myself on camera.

makingoverthirdgrade.blogspot.com
Nerves are can be a difficult thing to overcome and the more you feed into them, the more difficult they are to overcome. Well, at least for me. Nerves and a large helping of insecurity have prevented me from "flipping the camera around" and showing myself. I have watched several videos of others who state they are nervous but who have overcome it enough to face the camera.

makingoverthirdgrade.blogspot.comThe thing is, no matter what I say to myself there will always be a reason to not flip the camera around, I don't have make-up on, I have too many blemishes, the bags under my eyes are too prevalent, I need to lose A LOT of weight first. There will always be something, some reason, to not turn the camera around. I just need to bite the bullet and do it. So with that said I am going to put myself out there the worst that can happen is...well, I am not going to think about, or write that...I don't want to create another hole to put in front of myself to prevent me from putting myself out there. So here I go...wish me luck!
 photo hw8_boy6_zpse8a2e789.png
 photo hw8_divider3_zps676e7fb5.gif

No comments:

Post a Comment