Making Over Third Grade!: Next Lesson: A Classroom Resource & Company that Values Teacher Input
 photo Untitled_zpse7ecd2cc.png -->

Sunday, October 25, 2015

Next Lesson: A Classroom Resource & Company that Values Teacher Input


There is something to be said for seeking out pilots and working with start-ups as they try to improve their product. This is particularly true for education start-ups and how they can be used in your classroom.

I have been involved in a number of pilots over the course of the last two years (to learn more see this previous post). Recently (and by recently, I mean in September because I am so current on things this post is 'recent') a member of the Next Lesson staff contacted me to ask if I would be willing to be interviewed on film for their DILA award video.

Two members of their staff came to my classroom to ask me about how I use Next Lesson in my class and what I think of their lessons and website. To be able to have input in what a company does, or how they develop (or modify, as the case may be) their product (or website) is HUGE for me.

I love, and I do mean LOVE, to talk. I am also very opinionated outspoken so assisting with a pilot or being part of a research group is perfect for me. As an added bonus I get to use their products in my classroom for free.

There are all kinds of start-ups (and established companies with new products) that are seeking teacher input so that they can ensure that their product is something that will be sought after in classrooms. Becoming a member of their pilot, or research group, allows you to use their products in your classroom for free. So what are you waiting for? Google your grade level and things you are interested in using, or don't be afraid to ask a company that you know is new if they have a pilot program. The worst that can happen is that they will say no. On the other hand, you may just find yourself using a product you are interested in for free while providing your input to make the product more classroom friendly.

So what are you waiting for? Get out there and ask about these opportunities. I did and I am glad that I have these extra resources, that I would otherwise not be able to afford, in my classroom.

 photo hw8_boy6_zpse8a2e789.png
 photo hw8_divider3_zps676e7fb5.gif

No comments:

Post a Comment