Making Over Third Grade!: Trials & Tribulations of a 1:1 Classroom
 photo Untitled_zpse7ecd2cc.png -->

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Trials & Tribulations of a 1:1 Classroom


I love, I mean L-O-V-E, having 1:1 devices for my class!
makingoverthirdgrade.blogspot.com
I love....
* the fact that my kids can access information at their level & others won't know that it is
* differentiated. that I can easily differentiate their work.
* that it is easy to give feedback to all students.
* that I can be working with one group & provide feedback to others simultaneously.
* that students have choice in how to complete their assignments & show what they know
* that grading is faster - feedback, grades, & organization all in one place
* that I can have all of their work with me at all times & it isn't a strain to carry.
* that students can contact me for anything at anytime which allows me to clear up their confusion more quickly.

But having said all of that there are a few things I can't stand.
makingoverthirdgrade.blogspot.com

I can't stand...
* that the technology lately has presented us with "the black screen of death" which is how we refer to what happens when the devices die
* the fact that this class, no matter how much I teach & review it, have no sense of responsibility when it comes to being careful not to break their screens. (This is not just in my class this year, which makes me feel better an iota.)


The pros far outweigh the cons. The addition of 1:1 devices in my classroom transformed my teaching and how I approach students. I have always tried to treat my students as capable individuals who have some choice in their learning but this is nothing like how it is now. I love how my students take to research when they have a question; how much more inquisitive they have become; and how much more ownership they have over their work. I also love that their work expresses who they are from the font and color(s) they use to the modality they have selected. I have work turned in as books in Book Creator, as presentations in Explain Everything, Keynote, and Google Slides, as documents in Google Docs, and as movies in BuddyPoke (this used to be free) and iMovie or one of the two green screen apps they have.

I know that no matter what happens with technology in education the inclusion of iPads in my classroom has changed everything for me. What about you? Do you have technology available to use in your room? Are you 1:1 or do you have to share devices? Please share in the comments, I would love to hear how you use technology in your classroom.


 photo hw8_boy6_zpse8a2e789.png
 photo hw8_divider3_zps676e7fb5.gif

No comments:

Post a Comment