Making Over Third Grade!: TOU and You
 photo Untitled_zpse7ecd2cc.png -->

Friday, July 29, 2016

TOU and You

Teaching, and reteaching, students about plagiarism and using images found online is something I do throughout the year. Making sure they understand how and when they may use information and images found online is vital in order to ensure that they do not pick up bad habits of unwittingly (or not) using work that belongs to someone else.

I need to walk the walk that I talk about in class and also follow the same rules. Being sure to remain up-to-date about Terms of Agreement and a good digital citizen is just as important for me as it is for my students.

I recently revamped my blog and a collaborative blog I write for. I used clipart that I had purchased but hadn't checked to see if the user agreement had changed or not. That turned out to be a big mistake as the user terms had changed and the images were not available for use on a blog unless the design was done by a specific company.

Now, I could have ignored this and figured that my little blogs wouldn't be noticed. I could have played dumb and cited the old user agreement. Neither of those would have been the ethical thing to do. They are not something I could have done and lived with myself - or stood up in a classroom and insisted that students follow user rules and cite work they use; not knowing that I was doing exactly the opposite of what I was teaching. So once again, I revamped my blog. It was the right thing to do. This time I ensured the user rights would allow me to use the images in my blog, and I can go into my classroom and teach students the importance of not plagiarizing safe in the knowledge that I am saying, "do what I do" and not "do what I say."

 photo MO3GnewSig_zps8eqcflix.png

No comments:

Post a Comment