Making Over Third Grade!: Yet Again...
 photo Untitled_zpse7ecd2cc.png -->

Monday, February 19, 2018

Yet Again...


Yet again, as a nation, we are discussing gun control in response to a school shooting. I have been teaching for 14 years, I've been part of a number of lockdown/active shooter drills, and once as part of a lockdown due to a domestic issue near the school. It breaks my heart that my second and third-grade students have begun to worry about someone hurting them while they are school. I have no answers, just simply what I feel and what I do not want my students to feel. I do not want to have to explain to an eight-year-old why we have to practice these drills or comfort them and tell them that they are safe while at school. 

I have had to comfort them too many times over the past two years. I have had to tell my students that they are safe and will not be hunted down by ICE; that their parents are safe while they are at school; and that (most) people do not hate them. My kids are beautiful people who are just learning who they are and how to express themselves. I am trying hard to help them find a way to do this in the safety of our classroom. I do not know how successful my actions will be in the long run but I hope that each of these beautiful kids grows into a vocal adult who effects change in the world.

In the meantime, I have to start being more vocal too. I do not know how this will look beyond calling my congressmen/women and state representatives. Even this though will be a step in the right direction.

What I hope, what I pray, is that this generation will be the last to experience this fear, these events, and the aftermath of school shootings. I have hope for our nation. I see it each day in my classroom; it is full of hope, full of love, and full of joy. There is hope, and that is what I am holding on to. Hope.


No comments:

Post a Comment